Monday, August 17, 2009

A Cheerier Side of the Weekend

Okay, so traffic-related individuals caused me no shortage of annoyance on the weekend, but it wasn't a total wash.

I finally got out to The Black Hoof, a charcuterie place in my fine city.

Delicious.

A charcuterie plate with various meats and pâté (all made in-house) was absolutely solid. The drinks are naturally fantastic when the bartendress eschews artificially flavoured liqueurs for her own infusions and fresh juices.

Gin, ginger syrup, ginger beer, and ginger ale? Gingery. Manhattan with macerated sour cherries? Best Manhattan ever. Tokyo Mojito? Sweet and light.

The main course of a duck confit sandwich that was great, but sadly not as interesting as the beef tongue on brioche, which was thinly sliced and cured heaven. Next time? Nothing but the stuff that scares me. Calf brains ravioli. Beef heart. Sweetbreads. The man behind the counter knows his meats.

They're closed for a few weeks now, but I'll be going back in the fall.

Now if Caplansky could just get his new spot open already so I can get fatter on Toronto Smoked Meat.

No comments: