Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oddly Conscious

I knew it was a bad idea going in, but when a craving is in its second week, you eventually break down.

Since my sleeping schedule could charitably be described as erratic, it's not an uncommon occurrence to find me asleep at 6pm on any given weekday. I'll wake up anywhere between 7 and 9 and continue on with my weeknight. This is usually not a problem, as I can easily fall back asleep around 1 or 2am and repeat the cycle the next day.

Except when I decide that brewing up some coffee that brags about its caffeine content on the front and mixing it with crème brûlée ice cream is a good idea. After a full meal, that, along with the last slice of lemon meringue pie (for now) was dessert. A little premium chocolate liqueur was added as well.

And then I played the Mookie and went out in 1st 49th. Well damn, here I am all caffeinated and it's only 11:15. So I mucked around with some pictures again and decided at 1am that it was time for sleep.

Except sleep didn't come. 2:30 rolls around and I'm rolling with it. I maybe dozed a touch until the cats decided that 3:15am was a good time to have an all-out brawl. A tired, angry rebuke from the bedroom quickly had them running in and playing nice. I spent the next 4 hours tossing and turning, drifting in an out of uncomfortable sleep, knowing that morning would bring pain and suffering with it.

7:30, the alarm goes, and I, eyes closed, slam down on the off button. I'm not really tired, but know I didn't sleep worth a damn. I crack open my eyes, and they flutter, creating a zoetrope effect to my world. I slam them shut again, my pupils not ready to deal with reality. I turn, debate trying to rise from the mattress, and decide to remain covered and drowsy. Eventually, I force myself upright and get on with my day.

And here I am, at 12:05, lunch in front of me, and still plenty awake. No additional caffeine has been added, but perhaps the ginseng and ginko are helping. Now to take advantage of this alertness and maybe accomplish something.

2 comments:

STeelerJosh said...

Hi Astin -

Digging the HDR stuff. Are you using any specialized software (besides Photshop)? I am thinking of playing with some HDR but have to find the time and the knowledge first.

Josh

Astin said...

Glad you're liking it, I've still got a lot to learn with it myself.

I'm using Photomatix and then finishing in Photoshop (cropping, transforming, contrast, sharpness, noise, some colour tweaking, etc.). There are ways to do HDR purely in PS, but the tone-mapping in Photomatix is easier to play around with I find, especially if you want it to look a little surreal.