Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Round 1 In The Books

How about that last 1:20 of the Carolina-Jersey game? Wow. I love NHL game 7s like I love taffy. And I'm a man who loves my taffy.

Great bunch of series in round 1. Upsets (Anaheim over San Jose? Wow), forgone conlcusions (Detroit over Columbus in 4), and young guns showing their grit (Chicago made it through, colour me shocked).

Round 2 could have its surprises too. I don't see the Ducks getting past the Red Wings, but the veteran presence of Pronger and Niedermeyer could bring some surprises. The Thomas-Ward mathup in the Bruins-Hurricanes series could be something to watch. Ovechkin vs Crosby and Malkin in the playoffs? If that isn't a hilight-filled series, I don't know what would be. And the Canucks vs Blackhawks? I have to lean towards Vancouver in the end during a tough series. They've got a good mix of veterans and fairly young guys, and I think that extra experience will give them the edge. They're about matched in talent. Khabibulin vs Luongo? Another solid goalie matchup.

So let's say...

Detroit in 5
Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 6
Vancouver in 7

Which would set up a hell of a 3rd round with Detroit vs Vancouver and Boston vs Pittsburgh.

1 comment:

Shrike said...

I say Canucks in six. Luongo >> Khabibulin.

-PL