Monday, May 26, 2008

Train Wreck

It's Memorial Day in the states. That means CNBC is running repeats. I'm sitting here watching reruns of Suze Orman. I can't stand her. Her voice, mannerisms, attitude, etc, all annoy the piss out of me.

But her callers are hilarious, especially in the "Can I Afford It?" section.

Examples:

"I want to buy my girlfriend a $20k engagement ring."

"Show me the money" (Suze's annoyingly outdated catch phrase)

"Well, I have no income, because I'm an MBA student. $40k in savings, $800/mo in rent, etc.." We were laughing at "I have no income."

------

"I'm engaged to a stay-at-home mother of two. I want things to be equitable. How do I do that? Should we get separate bills when we go out? etc.."

"Umm... how much does she earn?"

"Well, she's a stay-at-home mom."

"So nothing?"

"Yah."

"And you're looking on how to stick her with the bill? How much do you make?"

"I make a little over $100k a year." (we break out laughing at this tool)

"WHAT??"

-------

"I want to buy a $1000 ice cream sundae."

-------

"I co-signed a student loan for my daughter for $52k. She's dropped out and refuses to pay off the loan."

"Don't co-sign loans!"

-------

"I want to buy a $1500 dog. I have $200 in savings and earn $20k a year after rent."


I can't imagine why there's a financial crisis.

No comments: