Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Thank You Bastards

This is a thank you to the Chads, and Dons, and Hoys, and Luckos, and Waffleses, and everyone else who has ever railed on another blogger in our little group. To those who have started or stirred up drama, you know who you are - thanks.

Seriously. One huge annoyance of mine are blogs that have nothing but fanboys and fangirls commenting in them. "Oh, you are so right about that thing that you've only given a one-sided account of!" "Life is so unfair, but chin-up, there's a girl out there somewhere who will want a fat, lazy, jobless momma's boy with terrible BO and poor hygiene and fashion sense. I'm sure of it!" "Your writing inspires me and makes me feel so illiterate." "That hand blew and you totally should have won after your great push with 88 on a paired board with 3 connected overs." Please. There's a line between a compliment or support and being a sycophant.

So I'm glad our group has the shit-disturbers and those who call it as they see it. Honesty is a rare commodity in this PC world, even though it's shown time and again that shoving your nose so far up someone's ass that you can smell what's on their fork only leads to problems down the line. A friend isn't someone who tells you what you want to hear, it's someone who tells you what you NEED to hear. Sure, tact is an even rarer beast than honesty, especially online, but I can live with bluntness.

A line I often use when describing more than a few of my friends is, "Yah, he's an asshole, but he's my kind of asshole." I get along with assholes just fine... as long as they know they're an asshole and make no attempts to hide it.

So keep the rants, the negative comments, and call-outs coming. Keep me entertained with high-school drama every few months. I'll keep reading, and you can know that at least I'll appreciate it.

5 comments:

Schaubs said...

I don't get where this is coming from...

email me, or explain further if you so dare...

Astin said...

It's coming from seeing a few (non-poker) blogs today full of whining and bitching by the clueless owners and seeing that reinforced by the commentors who are so ga-ga over the poster that they can't bring themselves to call bullshit. It made me realize how much I like the fact that among the friendly banter are honest assessments of people. Sure, there are mean-spirited attacks as well, but generally you'll see more brutal honesty.

In case there's any confusion - I'm not being sarcastic in the least here.

Julius_Goat said...

Amen, Astin, everything you write is so amazing! It is so blorking obvious when you put it the way you put it!

Mega-dittos, keep this fantastic content (that is so perfect and pure and beautiful that it could be a 24K golden turd from a holy cow) coming! I am your fan for liiiiiiiife!

Science rules.

SirFWALGMan said...

um, thanks?

lucko said...

I <3 Internet Drama.