Wednesday, June 13, 2007

There's a Reason I Ask

The setting - 10:30pm, dinner at Marben with my team from work. We've had a good dinner, some cocktails and red wine, all following a few hours at our regular over-priced financial district bar. We're all pretty full but the waitress suggests a couple sampling plates of dessert. We agree.

On each plate sits rolled ice cream, a lime-meringue tart, and a banana bread pudding with peanut sauce.

"Excuse me, but other than the peanut sauce, are there any nuts in any of these?"

"What are you allergic too?"

"Walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts... tree nuts essentially."

"No sir, just the peanuts and these corn nuts, which are really just corn."

"Thank you."

So I dig into the banana bread pudding... and it crunches. I get this feeling of dread. Out runs the waitress.

"Actually, the banana one has walnuts as well."

Bingo.

They released me from the ER at 8am this morning.

9 comments:

Wwonka said...

Wow that is scary!
Glad to see your ok.

Peace
wwonka

alan said...

Good thing you didn't eat the whole thing this time. Glad you're ok.

Fun playing with you in Vegas.

Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Wow... close call. Do you carry an epipen? I'm allergic to peanuts too so I can relate. Glad that you are ok!

Astin said...

My epipen is way expired, but luckily the reaction didn't kick into full gear until I got home. Thought I'd be fine until then (wasn't acting up)... and I live around the corner from about 4 hospitals.

So, new epipen and steroids for a few days. Yay.

SirFWALGMan said...

Lawsuit = +EV! Damn man hope your ok!
Idiot restaurant.

Astin said...

Seriously. But this is Canada, so there won't be any big multi-million $$ settlements, and a good chunk would likely go to lawyer fees. Probably taxes too.

In the end, I'm alive, and I doubt I'll eat there again. Which is a shame because the food was good and the patio was really nice.

lj said...

whoa! glad you're ok!

bayne_s said...

I feel your pain.

With me it's Red Berries.
If I ever meet the person who thought it was a good idea to start sweetening ice tea with fruit and berry juices they are getting a good beat down.

Can't tell you the count of waitresses that have come back to table saying "The tea does have berries or passion fruit" after my 1st sip.

Astin said...

I don't think I could deal with having any sort of fruit allergy, especially berries. I like them too much. But yah, that would be a huge pain in the ass trying to dodge those bullets.