Friday, July 20, 2007

Finally, A Challenge!

For some reason, I decided to toss most of my remaining and greatly dwindled bankroll into the Fifty-Fifty last night instead of being productive (although I did get a bunch of things out of the way first). I went out 583rd or something like that when the table's resident donkey struck with his pocket fives and turned a set. Really? Presto? Set on the turn? Who the hell plays that crap? :)

Of course, he went out about 10 minutes and 60 places later because he's a complete tool who got some sick rivers on retarded hands. He should have gone broke at least 3 or 4 times before he knocked me out.

Anyway.

This left me with... wait for it... a whopping... $5.57 in my FT account. So what's a guy to do at 11:20pm on a Thursday with just enough for a $5 SnG to do? Jump into a 45 runner $5 SnG of course! Then, he needs to play tight, then steal a bit, then somehow extract maximum value from his aces against the big stack with bets and calls on a paired board, and eventually hold on tight until enough people drop before him so he can JUST make the money and proudly look at the over $11 now sitting in his account.

Tonight I'm off to Fallsview to gamble with real chips, so I believe I will make Saturday a challenge day. The plan is simple - play poker pretty much all day and rebuild the roll into something a bit more respectable. If I fail miserably (which I inevitably will now that I've stated my goals), then I can always reload and try to not be a fool with my money. This may require multi-tabling and a mix of larger and smaller fields at donktastic levels. Or I could toss it all into 1 $10 tournament and cross my fingers. Yah, cash is king, but am I really going to play at $0.05/0.10 level?

But I like a challenge, and am at my prime under pressure, so it will be $11 worth of fun.

5 comments:

Fuel55 said...

Always on the turn baby!

alan said...

If you're going to try to build up from $10, and know anything at all about Omaha, try the .05/.10 PLO games. I don't consider myself an Omaha player at all, but the people playing that level are absolutely awful.

Proof.

Astin said...

Yes... always on the turn. If it was you at the table, I crash the program I fold so fast. :)

Let's see. I know the rules, I know it's a game of the nuts, something about implied odds... and I know I always read my hand wrong. :)

Not a bad suggestion at all.

lj said...

well, you may have better luck than me, but i recommend staying the hell away from cash. i would have built my bankroll hugely yesterday doing exactly what you just described (playing lots of larger and smaller fields) if not for getting stacked a few times.

i gotta say, i LOVED that $1 mtt that i played. obv you have to avoid even donkier players than in the 28k, etc. but i was amazed at how seriously some of the players were taking it, and i made 94 bucks for my effort. one player even yelled at another in chat for trying to induce a call. it was adorable.

i also love the 90 person double stack for 5 or 10 bucks which pays to 18, and it lasts awhile so you can play other tourneys at the same time.

GOOD LUCK!!

bayne_s said...

My bankroll would be so much higher if I never played Omaha!

How do you not get paid off more on your greater lucksac aura?