Thursday, March 20, 2008

Frustration

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
- Laurence J. Peter

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
- Will Durant


Bookends for a poker player's growth those quotes are.

Will I ever get tired of someone chastising a play I've actually reasoned out? Probably not. I don't have a specific example from the past few days. Although the guy who was crying over going from first to last (and me doing the opposite) on the bubble of an SnG with Aces came close. I had 64s in the BB, and he let me in for free. Flop comes 2 spades and possibly an inside straight draw. I'm short-stacked in the most aggressive phase of the game. I push, he calls, and I double up with the spade on the river. Then again, he was ranting against FT, not me.

I saw a lot of that yesterday - people ranting against Full Tilt. The more things stay the same, the less they change. I took my share of bad beats of course. If somone had an ace, they were bound to hit it. Any draw, no matter how remote? Yours. The difference being I sighed and moved on to the next game instead of letting my table know what bullshit it was that I couldn't win a race all night.

I did say, "Enjoy the chips luckbox" to Fuel in the Mookie though. But that was in response to his "keep those chips warm luckbox" comment earlier on when my JJ beat his 99. Blogger table talk doesn't count.

And I attribute a lot of my bad run yesterday to my attitude. No, it's not that I manifested these beats through negative thinking (although it sure feels like it sometimes). It's because I just didn't care and shoved when I knew I was ahead. It sounds nice to say you got your money in with the best of it, but you increase your variance when you do this. I'm actually experimenting with this of late. If I know I'm ahead and someone will likely call... shove. Results have been mixed.

The long weekend approacheth... I hope to get a run of errands done quickly tonight and make it home in time for the Riverchasers and 50-50.

I also plan to come home laden with fruit, veggies, and various other good-for-me foods. I need to drop the 10 lbs I've put on in the last couple months. I'm hoping that replacing my fatty, sugary, unhealthy snacks with better options will help get me there. It's usually a good step.

One last quote for your weekend:

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
- WC Fields

No comments: