Friday, March 07, 2008

Where's My Button Masher?

Screw 'em.

Out early in the Riverchasers PLO chase-fest last night. I'll go with "pretty much entirely my fault" for 2000 Alex.

Dealt Q7Q2, 3 suits, no hearts. Flop comes QJx, two hearts. Guy to my right bets the pot (900), and I know he's on a lower set, but there's still a ton of people to act behind me. I commit myself (betting 2k, with 160 left behind). I figured an all-in would look incredibly weak, while an obvious committment-bet would keep anyone but a really strong draw out. I actually would have loved multiple callers, because then I'd have known there were lots of hearts already out there. Alas, directly to my left pushed over top, original raiser calls, and I toss in my last few chips. As expected, I was ahead with the set of ladies, the raiser had a set of jacks, and mr. come-over-the-top-to-isolate had the nut flush draw. I begged for no heart to come, that the power of my hammer would keep it away, but it wasn't to be. The 7h fell on the river and I was done before the first hour was up.

I was ready to call it quits on the Skill Series and the non-NLHE Riverchasers, but then I thought of this Picasso quote: "I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it." If I could hold my focus and stay patient, I think my Omaha game would be far better than it has been. Actually putting effort into my stud game on Tuesday was working fine until I got bored with limit. So with something worth winning over the next 51 games, maybe I'll actually try and improve my performance in the non-NLHE games.

-----

Two storms hitting Toronto this weekend. One tonight, the other tomorrow. 30cm of snow when all is said and done. That's a foot for you yanks out there.

And I have a coffee class tomorrow morning. Heh.

Tonight though? I think I'll stay warm inside and wrap up a variety of minor chores that have sat undone. I'll probably skip the Donkament tonight... it's getting pricey what with all my rebuying :).

How about I talk about food! Dinner last night:

Breaded and pan-fried zucchini. Fresh grated parmesan, homemade bread crumbs from a variety of breads, dill, garlic, salt and pepper.

Sauteed vegetables. Onions, mushrooms, garlic, red pepper.

Chicken breast in raspberry-mint-jalepeno jam. I've had a jar of raspberry-jalapeno jam for a loooong time now that's sat unopened. It was time to use it. I chopped up some fresh mint I have and tossed it in too. Good stuff. Pan-fried.

All-in-all? Pretty good. Probably would have been better if I'd had more time to marinate the chicken.

Dinner tonight? Probably whatever I pull out of my freezer or pick up on my way home depending how I feel. Or maybe soup and a salad. Something easy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can beat that!

I had George's.

BamBam said...

Funny stuff!

I was just about to call it quits on the NLHE side of the events, because I just wasn't seeing any improvement in my game....

Until I read,
“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

bayne_s said...

Rule #1 of PLO
You can't make the nut flush draw fold.

Rule #2 of PLO
top set against a naked flush draw wins 73% of the time. It's nice to have 2 hearts to rob him of outs but in long run you want the FCD chasing.

But waffles says my biggest poker issue is over reliance on math.